Micaela Magazzu-Alaman, MA, LMFT
I am a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the state of California (LMFT #120272) and Colorado (MFT.0002160). I received my Bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in sociology from San Diego State University in 2012. For the next year, post-graduation, I worked in a residential treatment facility, specifically with adult and transitional-aged-youth (18-25) with severe mental illness and substance use disorders.
I continued my education at Alliant International University where I received my Master’s degree in Couple and Family Therapy in 2016. I completed my training and clinical experience in a variety of settings including children’s outpatient psychiatry clinics, intensive outpatient (IOP) treatment centers for adults with substance use disorders, and private practice settings with a focus on comprehensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for adults and teens. I have worked with children and parents involved in the Child Welfare System in outpatient and private practice settings. I have had additional training in evidenced-based approaches such as DBT and play therapy. I also have formal training with Body-Focused-Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs), such as hair-pulling and skin-picking.
Currently, I am working on my dissertation for my doctoral degree in Marriage and Family Therapy (Doctor of Psychology- PsyD) at the California School of Professional Psychology – Alliant International University.
As a therapist, my goal is to make my clients feel safe and allow space for personal growth. My therapeutic style is collaborative and culturally-sensitive. It is my goal to provide each client with individualized care while maintaining a non-judgmental and safe environment.
I work from a systemic frame of reference and consider the whole family in treatment. I am a collaborative clinician and will help clients tap into their current resources along with building new skill sets to overcome life’s obstacles. I incorporate Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) concepts, skills, and techniques into treatment with individuals and families with a strong emphasis on mindfulness practices. I utilize play therapy approaches with my younger clients.
Professional Licenses, Certifications & Affiliations:
- California Licensed Marriage Family Therapist LMFT (LMFT #120272)
- Colorado Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT.0002160)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT) Professional Member
- 40-Hour Domestic Violence Counselor Certification – §1037.1(a)(1)
- Former Doctoral Apprentice Reviewer for the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy (JMFT)
- Former Adjunct Faculty at Alliant International University, co-teaching Couple and
Family Therapy Master’s level courses for doctoral internship
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Foundational Training
- Body-Focused-Repetitive Behavior Training – Graduate of TLC’s Virtual Professional Training Institute
- Play Therapy Courses at the University of California – San Diego and Alliant International University
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) Training
- Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) – Knowledgeable Professional – completed Dr. Elaine Aron’s training for providers
Mon – Thurs: By appointment only
Fri – Sun: Closed
325 W Washington St.
Suite 2 #3010
San Diego, CA 92103-1946