Micaela Magazzu-Alaman, MA, LMFT
As a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in both California (LMFT #120272) and Colorado (MFT.0002160), I am committed to providing high-quality therapy services. My journey began with a Bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in sociology from San Diego State University, followed by a year of experience in a residential treatment facility for adults and transitional-aged youth struggling with severe mental illness and substance use disorders.
My education continued at Alliant International University, where I earned a Master’s degree in Couple and Family Therapy in 2016. Throughout my training, I gained experience in various clinical settings, including outpatient clinics for children with psychiatric concerns, intensive outpatient treatment for adults with substance use disorders, and private practices that focus on comprehensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for both adults and teens. I also have extensive experience working with families involved in the Child Welfare System.
In addition to my formal training in DBT and play therapy, I have specialized training in treating Body-Focused-Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs), such as hair-pulling and skin-picking. Currently, I am completing my doctoral degree in Marriage and Family Therapy (Doctor of Psychology- PsyD) at the California School of Professional Psychology – Alliant International University.
As a therapist, I strive to create a safe and supportive environment that promotes personal growth. My therapeutic approach is collaborative and culturally sensitive, with an emphasis on providing individualized care and maintaining a non-judgmental space.
In my practice, I utilize a systemic perspective, taking into consideration the whole family in treatment. As a collaborative clinician, I help clients leverage their existing resources while developing new skills to overcome challenges. With individuals and families, I integrate Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) concepts, skills, and techniques, and prioritize mindfulness practices. For younger clients, I employ play therapy approaches.
Professional Licenses, Certifications & Affiliations:
- California Licensed Marriage Family Therapist LMFT (LMFT #120272)
- Colorado Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT.0002160)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT) Professional Member
- 40-Hour Domestic Violence Counselor Certification – §1037.1(a)(1)
- Former Doctoral Apprentice Reviewer for the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy (JMFT)
- Former Adjunct Faculty at Alliant International University, co-teaching Couple and
Family Therapy Master’s level courses for doctoral internship
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Foundational Training
- Body-Focused-Repetitive Behavior Training – Graduate of the TLC Foundation for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors Virtual Professional Training Institute
- Play Therapy Courses at the University of California – San Diego and Alliant International University
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) Training
- Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) – Knowledgeable Professional – completed Dr. Elaine Aron’s training for providers
Mon – Thurs: By appointment only
Fri – Sun: Closed
325 W Washington St.
Suite 2 #3010
San Diego, CA 92103-1946